Simple chimichurri: our new favourite BBQ condimentOctober 9, 2015
Looking for a fresh, fragrant and punchy addition to your morning eggs? Your favourite sandwich? Or with grilled or barbecued meat at dinner?
No, it’s not alcohol, it’s simple chimichurri! And it really is the answer to all of your condiment prayers.
Traditionally, this Argentinian herby-blend is a mix of parsley, oregano, vinegar and garlic, but in true HelloFresh style, we’ve put our own spin on things. Our recipe calls for the addition of green chilli and uses coriander instead of oregano. Don’t feel as though you need to stick to these boundaries though; you can make a delicious chimichurri from any herbs you have at home
and with a green or a red chilli.
Treat this South American staple like a fresh pesto when you feel like freshening up an otherwise pedestrian meal, and you really can’t go wrong!
Simple chimichurri: our new favourite BBQ condiment
- 1½ tbs olive oil
- ½ bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- ¼ red onion, roughly chopped
- ½ clove garlic, peeled & crushed
- ½ lemon, zested & juiced
- 1 green chilli, deseeded & roughly chopped
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- In a blender or food processor combine the parsley, coriander, red onion, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, green chilli, the remaining olive oil and the red wine vinegar. Blend until well combined.
- The end result should be a thick paste, so if necessary add a little more olive oil to help the ingredients combine. If you don’t have a blender or food processor finely chop all of the ingredients
- and then mix them together.
- Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly with salt and pepper.
- Start enjoying chimichurri all the live long day!
For a super indulgent twist, why not try this simple chimichurri combined with a few tablespoons of whole egg mayonnaise: an unbelievably delicious aoili! We tried it with steak and thought the results were pretty spectacular.