Would you try soup for breakfast or dessert?April 28, 2016
Good morning sunshine. In our quest to discover the best, the weird and the wonderful in the world of food – check this out: soup for breakfast and dessert!
Berry and Kefir Breakfast Soup
(this is basically a delicious smoothie, but it’s so good we had to serve in a big cereal bowl)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup kefir
- Half a lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pomegranate, segments removed
- Gently simmer the berries until quite soft, for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and add kefir, lemon juice and zest, cinnamon and pomegranates. Blend until smooth.
- Serve topped with sliced fresh strawberries. Makes 3 cups.
Sweet Potato and Orange Dessert Soup
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium oranges, remove skin, seeds and white pith
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Flaked almonds (optional garnish)
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the flaked almond in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pot and let simmer for about 30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes and oranges are soft.
- Let it cool down a bit and then puree in batches in a blender until smooth.
- Before serving the soup at your desired temperature, top with flaked almonds if desired. Makes 4 cups.
Would you give soup for breakfast or dessert a try? Let us know!