Velvety Vegan chocolate mousse recipeNovember 3, 2015
We know a banana in a paper bag is a sure fire way to ripen up an avocado, but who knew they would make such good bedfellows in a dessert?
You may be sceptical about this vegan chocolate mousse recipe – won’t it end up tasting more like guacamole than velvety chocolate? Not so! Blending good quality cocoa with avocado results in a perfectly silky smooth mixture, and tastes completely ‘chocolatety’ – only the smooth texture of our fave little veggie remains.
With natural sweetness from bananas, a hint of cinnamon and salt for depth of flavour, this raw vegan delight is so good for you we’re thinking of starting the day with it. Chocolate mousse for breakfast, anyone?
This recipe comes from Gabriella at Domu. Take a look at their other dessert recipes – they’re all deliriously simple!
Velvety Vegan chocolate mousse recipe
- 3 medium bananas, peeled, chopped and frozen for at least 2 hours beforehand
- ½ medium ripe avocado, pitted and sliced
- 4 tbsp cashew or almond butter
- 4 – 5 tbsp raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt or fine sea salt
- A chopped banana and cashew nuts, to garnish
- Add the chopped frozen bananas to your food processor and blend until the bananas have broken down and you have a crumbly-looking texture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until you have a smooth consistency.
- Have a little taste and blend in more cacao powder if you want a stronger chocolate hit.
- Portion into ramekins and top with some more chopped banana and crunchy cashew nuts.
- Eat immediately, or store in the fridge for up to 24 hours.