Salad in a Jar – literally the best idea everFebruary 23, 2016
We are not exaggerating. This salad in a jar is so bloody clever!
This easy ‘life hack’ level salad is pretty, practical and proven to be good for you. But the best part has to be the way you can get a beautiful, freshly assembled salad in a matter of moments. Layering salad with dressing at the bottom means that it doesn’t penetrate the rest of your lovely fresh ingredients – so no sogginess here! Similarly, leaving leafy herbs and salads until the very top of the jar stops them from getting downtrodden and droopy – when the whole thing is upended into a bowl they can de distributed evenly throughout lunch.
Use a good quality glass jar that is taller than it is wide for this; it should be narrow enough for each ingredient to form its own protective layer. Make sure the lid screwed on tight as well! If you’re having a real quick desk lunch this can also be munched on straight out of the jar – just upend before eating and allow the dressing to combine with the other layers!
Salad in a Jar – avocado, grilled salmon and beetroot salad
- Layer 8 rocket
- Layer 7 coriander leaves
- Layer 6 1 salmon fillet, grilled and shredded (or 300g mushrooms pan fried, for a vegetarian option)
- Layer 5 pickled beetroot, cubed
- Layer 4 whole avocado, sliced
- Layer 3 puy lentils
- Layer 2 spring onions, chopped
- Layer 1 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbs. olive oil and 1 Tbs. honey
- Salt and pepper to season on top.
- Grill the salmon fillet or mushrooms in a little olive oil, salt and pepper the night before and then shred.
- Layer the salad ingredients in order (this will keep the dressing from making the salad soggy). Keep in the fridge until lunch and then empty into a bowl for a perfect lunch!
For the Balsamic honey dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil and honey.
Of course, this salad in a jar idea can work with endless combinations! Make sure you share with us your favourite salad combination!