How to cook QuinoaAugust 2, 2016
Once touted as a ‘superfood’ by some and mocked by others, it’s clear that quinoa is here to stay.
We couldn’t be happier about it! Actually a seed, quinoa is high in protein, gluten free and a great alternative to rice, pasta or other sides. For an easy guide for how to cook quinoa, look no further than this handy step-by-step guide.
1. Rinse the quinoa through a strainer. This will remove any bitterness that might remain during cooking, so give all the grains a good rinse.
2. Add the quinoa to a large pot with twice the amount of stock or well salted water. So, for 1 cup of quinoa, add 2 cups of liquid and so on.
3. Simmer the quinoa for at least 12 minutes (it may take as long as 15 minutes) on a medium high heat – until all the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa looks tender. Tip: The small spiral – what’s known as the ‘germ’ of each grain will also be curling out from the quinoa when it’s ready.
4. Strain through a sieve to remove any excess liquid.
5. Fluff with a fork to separate the grains.
6. Dress up your quinoa! We love this salad with roast veggies.
And that’s all there is to it! Make sure to let us know your favourite ways to pimp your quinoa.