Our Carrot and Zucchini Birthday CakeMarch 21, 2017
We can scarcely believe it! It’s officially been 5 years since we first delivered the first HelloFresh meal in Australia.
We just chalked up 5 years of delivering inspiration to your front door. It’s sometimes felt a bit breathless, and we thought there was something about this milestone that deserved a bit of a celebration. We’ve come a long way from delivering HelloFresh in paper bags out the back of Tom’s station wagon. We’ve also added fruit boxes, a family box, we’ve written thousands of recipes and grown from the eastern suburbs of Sydney to making HelloFresh accessible from Darwin all the way down to Adelaide.
Above all, we’ve had a lot of amazing foodie moments. In honour of our amazing customers, we thought we’d better knock up something delicious to really commemorate this anniversary.
We knew we had to whip up something very special to celebrate our fifth birthday, and what better than a decadent birthday cake chock full of veggies? Zucchini and carrot make this cake fabulously moist – but be sure to get the excess water out of the zucchini.
Carrot and Zucchini Birthday Cake
- 1 cup of grated unpeeled zucchini squeezed and drained
- 2 cups of grated carrot
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, zested
- 3/4 cup of Greek yoghurt
- 2 ½ cups of wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
For the icing
- 200g cream cheese, softened
- 45g butter, softened
- 1 lime, zested and a teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease two 20cm circular cake tins.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, spices; stir well with a whisk.
- In a separate large bowl mix together all wet ingredients: zucchini, carrots, shredded apple, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, coconut oil, orange juice, lime zest and yogurt. Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in shredded coconut flakes and chopped walnuts.
- Pour half of the batter into each cake tin. Bake for 40-55 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then invert cake onto rack and allow to cool completely.
To make cream cheese icing
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and butter together. Use to sandwich the two cakes together, then top with some more icing and the zest of a lime.