3 Healthy Snack Ideas to satisfyJanuary 27, 2016
Some of us are snackers. That’s all there is to it. We’d be foolish to try and change your nature, so instead take a hint from nature with these healthy snack ideas!
Everyone’s appetites are different. Some of us are pythons – eating big meals infrequently and happily digesting along for hours. Others are raccoons, more at home nibbling away on all manner of food stuffs throughout the day. For snackers and nibblers, it can be hard to try and eat healthily throughout the day.
We asked around the office and the main offender is definitely sugar. We get it – sugar’s delicious and it gives your brain an instant pick me up when 3:30-itis hits. The problem is, the initial spark which sugar gives you doesn’t last long, and then where are you? Tired, crashing, and hungry for more, that’s where.
Fortunately, HelloFresh is here to help. These 3 healthy snack ideas are low on sugar, big on veggies (because you should always get your 5 a day) and absolutely delicious. Give them a try and see if some slow burning energy doesn’t do you a world of good!
3 Healthy Snack Ideas to satisfy
Kale chips with salt, pepper and cumin
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil, liquid
- ¼ tsp. cumin spice
- ½ tsp. coarse sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper sea salt
- 1 cup corn kernals, for popcorn
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ½ fine sea salt
- ½ cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
Beetroot slices with goats cheese, dill & pepper
- 1 beetroot
- 150g goats cheese
- 1 bunch dill
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
For the Kale chips with salt, pepper and cumin
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Rinse kale well and blot dry thoroughly with a clean kitchen towel. Tear leaves from ribs; discard ribs. Using your hands, tear leaves into fairly large, appealing chip-size pieces.
- Place kale in a bowl and sprinkle with coconut oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix together so it’s fully seasoned.
- Arrange leaves in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans top to bottom and back to front midway through baking time, until leaves are dry and crispy, about 25 minutes. Serve right away; kale chips are best eaten within a few hours. Serves 4.
For the Paprika Popcorn
- Make popcorn by slowly heating olive oil and corn kernals in a large saucepan on a medium high heat. Make sure you put a lid on the pot to stop your popcorn escaping!
- While still warm toss with paprika, salt and pepper and a little more olive oil, if you like.
For the Beetroot slices with goats cheese, dill & pepper
- Peel the beetroot and slice into 5mm slices.
- Bake on a sheet in the over at 190°C for 20 minutes.
- Place on a plate, spoon on some goats cheese onto each.
- Sprinkle on some fresh chopped dill and some fresh ground black pepper.
Do you have a favourite guilt-free snack? Let us know in the comments.