Two strawberry recipes to get your tastebuds tinglingSeptember 13, 2016
Strawberries are everywhere at the moment, and they’re not expensive either.
In honour of one of our favourite fruits, here are two recipes that star strawberries.
Vegan Vanilla Chia pudding with strawberries, lemon balm and cookie crumble
- 125g spice cookies (ginger snaps or ginger thins are perfect)
- 6 tbsp chia seeds
- 400ml cups almond milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 125g strawberries
- ½ of a lime
- 1 sprig lemon balm
- Overnight, let the chia seeds soak in the almond milk. Scrape out the core of the vanilla pod and add it, together with agave syrup to the chia pudding on the next day. Mix it and while it soaks once again, clean the strawberries, cut them in quarters and combine them with the juice of half a lime. Take the lemon balm leafs, wash them and finely slice them.
- After that, fill almost all cookie crumbs, one half of the chia pudding, almost all the strawberries and then the other half of the chia pudding in jars and top them with the rest of the cookie crumbs, strawberries and the lemon balm.
Tip: If you have a jar you can seal, you can use this as a perfect snack on the go!
If you have slightly firm, less sweet start-of-the-season strawberries, this recipe is perfect. Roasting will create juicy, deliciously sweet strawbs no worries!
- Pizza dough or shortcrust pastry dough
- 300 g strawberries
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 bunch basil
- Balsamic vinegar
- 100g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to about 200°C.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out 2 ovals about 3 mm thick. Place them on a baking tray, lined with baking paper. Mix the sour cream with honey in a bowl and spread evenly over the dough. Wash and cut the strawberries into slices and add to the top – bake at 200°C degrees for 15 minutes.
- Chop the chocolate and put it in a heat proof dish over a pot of boiling water. Stir until melted. Drizzle the chocolate over the baked pizza and garnish with basil leaves.