How to Cook CrabJuly 28, 2016
Seafood seems to scare lots of budding chefs. Is it the claws? The smell? Soggy fish ‘n’ chips of childhood beach trips long ago? Whatever the reason, it’s time to harden up, because today we’re learning how to cook crab.
I would definitely advise buying your crab from a local fish monger, then you can find out where the crab is from. As cleaning crab can be a little tricky, you might want to ask your fish monger to do this for you. But don’t worry, we’re going to explain this step as well.
- The key to delicious crab is based on how fresh the crab is and using a fantastic stock that you boil it in. I like using a delicious vegetable stock and then I add extra vegetables, like carrots, celery and some chives. Then season it with salt, pepper and some white wine vinegar.
- Bring this to the boil and place the crab inside the water, so they are covered. I would then cook this for about 12 to 15 minutes to be on the safe side.
- Next – take the crab out of the stock, let it cool and rinse with cool water.
- Now, for the cleaning part, remove the tail, and then put your thumb in the gap it leaves and lift the top shell completely off. Discard the tail and shell.
- At the front of the crab, you will see the gills – these are in a cluster, they are a greyish colour, have a spongey consistency and they have a triangular pointy shape. Remove these by pulling them out.
- Remove the front “mandibles” these are the mouth of the crab.
- Rinse what is left of the crab to get rid of the roe (eggs) and any toxins. All that should be left is the lovely white meat and the shell
- Turn the crab upside down and hold each side and crack it down the middle. This will expose the white meat inside. Use your hands and a knife to scoop out the meat
- Use a nutcracker to crack the claws and remove the meat from here too.
- Put the white meat in a bowl and throw all the shell away!
Crab, Chive & Rocket Bruschetta
- 3 slices bread
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 handful chives, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- the juice of 1 lemon
- the meat of 1 crab
- 2 handfuls rocket, washed
- Toast the bread until it is crunchy
- Spoon on some sour cream and place the rocket on top
- Mix together half the lemon juice, salt, pepper, shallots and chives with the crab in a bowl
- Spoon the crab onto the rocket
- Squeeze a bit more lemon on top and season again with salt and pepper