Who’s who around the Christmas table? December 11, 2019
Ever sat around the Christmas dinner table wondering why, year after year, Aunty Sharon’s dressed up like a Christmas tree while she bosses everyone around, why cousin Will always gets away with just bringing the Christmas crackers, why (seriously, why!) Uncle Terry gets handed the barbie tongs, despite always burning the snags?
Snap – we have been thinking the same thing! We surveyed over 1,000 Aussies and by doing so we’ve identified eight common personas that you might recognise from your own Christmas festivities. We’ve even created a quiz so you can find out what personality you take on during Christmas – keep reading on to find out!
What Christmas persona do you take on during the festive season?
You’re sure to recognise some of these common personas! Which one best describes you?
- Captain Christmas: The host/ess with the mostest, I love running the day from start to finish, rallying the troops, deciding on the mnu and, managing everything.
- Reluctant Host: I find myself hosting every year and while I do a great job, no-one else helps and it leaves me feeling stressed.
- One Hit Wonder: One fantastic dish is all I have to offer, but wow is it good!
- Bad Cook: Over enthusiastic optimist – some may say I burn the snags, but I’m great on the BBQ.
- Backseat Driver: I sit back and observe how it’s running and may offer advice from time to time but otherwise I sit with a tinnie/chardy in hand.
- Kitchen Hand: To make up for the fact I’ve not contributed at all to the food or preparation, I help out with the dishes on the day.
- Goldie Oldies: Guaranteed to be in a food-induced coma and snoozing in the corner by mid afternoon.
- Delegate Dud(e): I’m overlooked year on year and only asked to buy the Christmas Crackers, or put out the nuts. And I am happy with that.
So whether you claim to be the hostess with the mostess or prefer to let everyone else handle the Christmas preparation, take our quiz to find out which one you are!
Which one are you? Find out here: https://quiz.tryinteract.com/#/5ddcc45df7bd5c00140f6916
What does the research say?
- 1 in 5 Aussies identify with ‘Captain Christmas’ who loves to run the day from start to finish
- Just as common as the ‘Kitchen Hand’ – 20% of Aussies try to make up for the fact they haven’t contributed to the food or prep by helping out with the dishes
- If you’re working on the guest list, turns out Aussies love inviting the person with the most cracking dish – 39% want to have the ‘One Hit Wonder’ at their dinner table