3 Ways To Use Leftovers That Couldn’t Be Easier May 25, 2018
Fans and users of HelloFresh will know that when you receive a (not so) little box of joy from us, the ingredients come pre-portioned, so you have just the right amount for dinner and needn’t throw food away unnecessarily.
It’s a good M.O. to have in the name of sustainability, but not every meal you’ll eat will be carefully pre-portioned, so if you want to get the most out of every ingredient, you’ll need to be creative!
Luckily, we’re here to help with that too. Here’s three ways to make the most of ingredients you’ll often be left with spares of and yes, they are as delicious as they are handy!
Homemade Tortilla Chips
We love to celebrate Taco Tuesday, but unless you’re catering for a full-on fiesta, you’re bound to have some leftover tortillas. But don’t throw them away, throw them in your mouth with this clever snack recipe!
- Cajun spice seasoning
- Cut tortillas into even triangles
- Spray baking tray with oil
- Lay triangles flat and evenly spaced apart
- Sprinkle with Cajun spice and salt mixture
- Place in oven until crisp and enjoy
Need a dip for those tasty chips? We’ve got just the thing.
You know how it is, you return home from the market, a big paper bag in hand, baguette protruding from the top, string of onions on the other arm, because we’re all living in a French stereotype. But unless you’re making a huge pot of French onion soup, you’re bound to have leftover onions, and maybe bread too. So, here’s what you do!
- Brown Sugar
- Slice onions, not too fine
- Spread butter around heated pan until melted
- Add sliced onions and begin to stir
- Add brown sugar to mixture
- Continue to stir until onions are nice and caramelised
- Place onion relish on toasted baguette slices and top with fetta and parsley, or try as a delicious condiment for burgers and steak sandwiches.
We’ve all had leftover herbs die on us. You just grab a bunch, use far less than you picked up and watch the remains slowly wilt and die. But their fate needn’t be so sad! Follow these easy steps and let all your herbs fulfil their useful destiny!
- Pine nuts
- Herbs (basil, parsley, rosemary etc.)
- Place leftover herbs with garlic clove and pine nuts into blender and blend until mixture is liquid
- Pour mixture into ice cube tray and freeze
- Once frozen, place cubes into pan and stir while melting
- Add pasta to pan, cover well and stir until cooked
- Top pasta with pine nuts, Parmesan and a sprinkle of herbs
So, there you have it! A little creativity goes a long way towards helping sustain our planet and helping sustain your appetite with delicious snacks. For a guide on how to store those leftover herbs, check this out.