Pickled Pink: learn how to pickle anything! February 6, 2020
To learn how to pickle anything, just follow these simple steps. Then, you can use this handy method to preserve any leftover veg you might have lying around.
This pickle needs at least a week in the fridge to develop a strong, sharp flavour, but it can stay in the fridge for up to a month after that, ready to punch up the flavour profile of your next snack in zero seconds flat. Nice one pickles!
You can pickle just about anything, which we think is pretty thrilling. Not only is making your own pickle super easy and incredibly cheap, but it adds instant flavour to sandwiches, salads, noodle dishes and stir fries, banh mi – we even like it with some roast beef and mash potato!
The vegetables you decide to use for your pickle are entirely up to you (honestly, this really is how to pickle anything), but we recommend hardy veg that would otherwise require cooking (such as carrot or beetroot), or anything with a bit of bite to it (Spanish onion and jalapeño or other peppers are particularly good).
- A selection of veggies cut into thick slices or sticks, or into whatever shape you prefer your pickles’
For the pickling marinade
- 4 cups cider or white wine vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- fresh black pepper cloves
- Chopped fresh thyme
- Chop your veggies in the way you like them.
- Add everything into a jar.
- Leave in fridge for a week or two at least.