Get your burg on with our 8 best burger recipes! May 28, 2019
Plus, some beaut’ burger tips from our culinary team…
Hooray! Hooray! It’s International Burger Day! We just love getting both hands around these suped up sandwiches and enjoying the bevy of flavours on offer with every bite; the vessel affording seemingly endless combinations of ingredients! We’re pretty big into celebrating food here at HelloFresh HQ, one any given day, really; but when the occasion really calls for it? All bets are off!
So, put your forks down, because where we’re going, kid: we don’t need cutlery… Because we’re going to run through 8 of our best burger recipes! It’s no secret that our HelloFresh fam are huge burger fans – in the past year, we’ve delivered over 1.3 million burger meal kits! From beef, chicken, pork and veggie burgers, our recipe team is always developing new burger recipes to please our hungry fans!
So, as a cheeky bonus, we’ve gathered some handy tips for cooking burgers care of our wonderful culinary team who’ve brought the following recipes to you! This might just be the best day of the year!
Serve up a hearty burger with this vegetarian version made with a golden “patty” of crumbed haloumi! A smear of smoky aioli and sweet caramelised onions turns this veggie dinner into a taste sensation. And everything’s better with corn cobs. Don’t even try to deny it!
Tomato sauce is always classic on a burger, but this time we’ve swapped it out for two of our other favourite classics; garlic aioli and caramelised onion. Does it work? It must be eaten to be believed! But yes, it does… Anyway! Serve with a fresh side salad and you’ll be thanking us all night for this super simple, mouth-watering meal.
We’re so excited about this one! Crispy chunks of squeaky haloumi and creamy pesto on a baked roll will delight your taste buds. And your regular buds, if you invite them over to partake in the joy. And the side of golden potato wedges? Let’s just say you won’t need the local pub’s burger menu on hand when you’ve got this recipe under your belt.
Mix up a pork patty infused with the mild spices of Louisiana! Tender onion and capsicum add a touch of sweetness, plus a hearty side of sweet potato wedges mean this meal packs a bit of the flavour of Nawlins (AKA New Orleans) in every bite!
This classic burger reaches next-level-delicious status with the addition of smoky flavours – both on the baked potato fries and with a creamy BBQ aioli. Caramelised onion and fresh salad toppings are a great addition; get ready to meet your new regular burger craving!
We admit that we’re low-key obsessed with haloumi. Who isn’t? We’re always trying to find new delicious ways to enjoy it, and we think this sesame crust might be our best idea yet. There might not be a better feature ingredient in a veggie burger!
Look out, takeaway! It’s time to say “hello” to your new favourite chicken burger. Whether it’s the crisp panko crumb on the tender breast, the dollop of smoky aioli or the soft, brioche-style buns, you’ll take delight in every bite – and best of all, you made it yourself!
We’ve taken the best parts of the American Southern BBQ experience – sweet and savoury sauce, aromatic spices and a crisp slaw – and added a tender pork patty and soft brioche buns for a burger that y’all will love! Somewhere over the rainbow, we will, uh, eat a burger? OK, not our best. But the burger sure is up there!
Now that you’ve gathered all the best recipes to cook, best to get a few tips from the team so you can absolutely nail every one of them!
Beaut’ Burger Tips from the HelloFresh culinary team:
- Wet your hands before rolling meat patties – this will keep your hands from getting too sticky. It also allows the meat to come together faster and prevents over-handling.
- Keep handling to a minimum when forming your burger patties. You want a juicy and tender meat patty and over-handling will cause the proteins to mesh, leaving you with a dense and tight patty.
- Shape your burger patties so they’re slightly larger than the size of your burger buns because the meat patty will shrink when it cooks.
- Make an indent or a small dimple in the centre of your meat patty with your thumb before cooking. This will help keep its shape and prevent it from puffing up when it cooks. No one likes a bloated centre!
- The best time to season your burger patty is within minutes of it hitting the grill. Salt starts affecting meat – dissolving proteins, drawing out moisture – the moment it comes in contact with it, adversely affecting the exterior texture of your burger patty.
- Do not press down on the patties while cooking them! If you take a spatula and press down on the meat patty while it cooks, then the juices spill out and you’ll be left with a dried out patty.
- Place a layer of lettuce on top and on the bottom of the patty to extend the lifespan of the bun and prevent the sauce from soaking into the bun. It’ll keep your burger bun intact and make it easier to eat.
- Experiment! Don’t let anyone tell you what you should or shouldn’t put in your burger. If you feel it, then do it! Burgers are meant to be fun, so don’t stop experimenting with different proteins and flavours. Maybe just avoid using Cheezels and French onion dip like a certain writer’s father once did…
Now, go forth, dear reader and burg ‘til you can’t burg no more… then burg some more!